Saturday, June 25, 2016

Healthy Habits for Natural Hair Growth, Part 1

For many naturals, healthy hair growth is a common goal, and personally, I am one of those naturals. My hair growth goal is not necessarily for length, but it is for the overall benefits of healthy hair. With healthy hair growth, hair can be thicker, stronger, and shinier! Who doesn't want that!?!




In addition to getting healthy hair to grow from the scalp, one must also know how to maintain the current hair they have to see the maximum results for overall healthy hair. There is nothing worse than experiencing 1/4 to 1/2 an inch of healthy hair growth, and losing that growth to poor hair maintenance and practices. Therefore, length retention practices are vital to maintaining healthy hair as well!

To discuss the habits, I have broken healthy hair growth down into two categories: 
1.) Habits for healthy hair growth from the scalp 
2.) Habits for length retention 

In today's post, we will discuss habits for healthy hair growth from the scalp, and the next post will serve as part 2, covering habits for length retention.

Habits for Healthy Hair Growth from the Scalp:

1. Cleaning your scalp is critical to hair growth. Hair can't grow as effectively when there is dirt and gunk clogging the pores on your scalp so keep your scalp clean. In the past, I didn't shampoo my hair. Instead, I would clarify my scalp with an apple cider vinegar and water mixture (You can see more about my natural hair wash regimen here). But lately, with working out more, I have been reaching for Shea Moisture's Coconut Hibiscus Curl and Shine Shampoo. This shampoo is gentle so it doesn't strip my hair and make it feel dry. It leaves my curls soft and smelling oh so wonderful. Not to mention, my scalp game is on point! 
Image result for shea moisture coconut and hibiscus shampoo
2. Scalp massages are the next habit, and a daily scalp massage can help to stimulate the blood in the scalp, increasing circulation and promoting hair growth. Just grab your favorite oil, employ those finger tips, and get to massaging! To help pass time as a I massage my scalp, I like to watch YouTube videos and let my fingers do the work! Check out my post here on natural hair Youtubers you should be watching!!
3. Drinking water is the third habit, and honestly, everyone knows about the benefits of water. However, most people still don't do it. Drinking half your body weight of water can help to moisturize your strands from the inside out and also helps to flush out any toxins in your system that might be hindering healthy hair growth
4. Eating healthy is the next habit. We hear the phrase: "You are what you eat", but have you truly accepted it. Whatever you put in your body is what comes out of your body. Simply stated: If you eat junk, your body produces less than stellar results, which may be evident in your overall health, weight, skin appearance and hair. Your body needs its share of carbs, proteins and other nutrients to help it repair and grow. So stop and evaluate the things that you are putting in your body. Ask yourself: "Will this food be beneficial to my body and hair growth?"  Now, in all honesty, I ask myself this question, and sometimes, I still give into whatever sweet treat it is that I may be craving. Everyone is entitled to a treat every now and then! I'm not saying you have to eat healthy 100% of the time, but I am saying to make better choices so that your overall food choices reflect healthy eating habits! One of my favorite ways to consume multiple nutrients at once is through a smoothie (You can read  this post here on one of my favorite go to smoothies that has a multiple vitamins and nutrients to promote healthy hair growth). 
5. Exercise is the final habit! Exercise is known to increase blood flow and again, increased blood flow promotes hair growth! NUFF SAID!!!!

These were some practical habits that can help promote healthy hair growth from the scalp. Of course, there are other methods that can also help with healthy hair growth and if you have some additional methods, please feel free to comment down below. 

Also, check out my past post on healthy hair growth and length retention (HERE), and stay tuned for part 2 of this post! 

Until next time,
Be faith-filled, fearless, and fabulous,
Kurly Ken 

2 comments:

  1. Thank you and I definitely will!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We Dare To Care, We Will Achieve To Help You Believe!

    Many people, making even the smallest of donations, enable THE UNITED NEGRO BUSINESS FUND to reach our communities and move quickly with our causes.

    Sincere Ignorance & Conscientious Stupidity.

    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.

    Life's most persistent and urgent question is, 'What are you doing for others? Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

    1. Do we help only our family & friends?
    2. Should we care at all about helping our own people?
    3. Hey, I tell you what, let us just leave it to others, to look after us because they're doing such a wonderful job building businesses for us and creating jobs and wealth for our people.
    4. Another wonderful idea lets sit back relax & allow somebody else, everybody else and while nobody donates.

    Donate Now, by clicking on the link ​provided https://igg.me/at/5k2eL9jSDHw

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment down below.