Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Box Braids: Part 2 of My Summer Regimen

Hey Kurl Fam, 

I finally installed my braids, and I am loving them! When I was growing up and even as a young adult, my staple hair style was braids. I wore braids so much people called me Brandy! I always kept a fresh set of individuals or micro braids! Fortunately, I learned how to braid my own hair so I never went broke with my braiding session. For my box braids, I installed them myself, and I'm pretty happy about them. My hair can rest for at least a month. 

To install them, I pre-pooed with a mixture of coconut oil/honey, clarified my hair with baking soda/water mix, and deep conditioned with Organic Root Stimulator Hair Mayonnaise. I let my hair air dry and used my signature products for the braiding process, which included my hair cream, aloe/water spray, hair clamps, and a hair band. I used five bags of kanekolan hair from the beauty supply for $2.99. 


The installation process took several days! My schedule was very hectic, as I was taking final exams and concluding class projects. I braided my hair over a total of four days, doing a little each day. I literally studied and braided, which led to a series of late nights and early mornings. 



I was so sick of braiding! Peep that facial expression! On this picture, my hair looks completed, but there was a giant patch if my natural hair still incomplete in the center. I always braid the perimeter first and then I do the insides last.





When I finished, I was so relieved. My hands, on the other hand, were a cramped mess! These braids are super long and took longer to do. For my regimen, I'll shampoo them every two weeks with V05. Nothing fancy! I'll spray my braids with my aloe/water spray mixture, specifically concentrating on the part of the braids where my natural hair is located. Then I'll apply my homemade moisturizing cream, again concentrating the application in where my natural hair is. Every other day, or as necessary, I plan on spraying and moisturizing my hair. That's it! Easy peasy! I plan on doing a post with some hairstyles for my braids!  

Until next time...

Be faith-filled, fearless, and fabulous,
Kurly Ken

2 comments:

  1. This was so needed because I need something for this scalp of mine with the braids..I have always just used dry shampoo and tea tree oil to moisturize my little scalp.

    I can't wait for the hairstyle post I am actually looking for a style for a wedding this weekend!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, my friend! I just keep it simple with the wash routine.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment down below.